Sunday, February 1, 2015

"Loss of Life, Eternity Gained" Revisited

Seven years I wrote the following about a friend who unexpectedly went Home after an accident. He is truly alive in Christ per his motto...

Last night I received ill news about a friend of mine. His name is Jared Nagel. The story: On Saturday, February 2nd, while snowboarding, Jared had a freak accident. After landing wrong, Jared got up, walked to the lodge where he collapsed. He died 2 hours later. This is hard for me to type. Now Jared and I were never terribly close or anything. In fact I knew his sisters better than he. However, I knew Jared since before his birth. His family lived down the road from me when I was 2 years old. His family were great friends with mine. Now, I admit that I do not have the words to say right now. It is hard to know what to say since this happened so suddenly. I will not pretend to know what the Nagels are going through because I don't. I can't even imagine. It is difficult for me to even look at pictures of Jared now without a tear flowing.

Jared knew how to live life to the fullest. Within his 20 short years, he knew how to have fun and make people laugh. It has been said that no one could hate that kid, and I believe that to be true. For about a year or two I attended a guys accountability group hosted by Jared at his house. He was a great man of God and knew his priorities in life. Jared looked up to me as an older friend and I admired his sense of adventure and humor. I remember his mom telling me that my long hair influenced Jared to grow his hair out. What a great friend he was.

The Lord works in mysterious ways, doesn't He? This evening, I read a segment in the Devotional "Morning and Evening" by Charles H. Spurgeon on the Evening of February 4th. It was titled A Fast Road. I won't write the whole entry down, but it was talking about the cities of refuge in the Land of Canaan. Listen to Spurgeon's last words the entry: "All you need to do is touch the hem of Christ's garment and you will be made well (Matthew 9:21). If you just touch Him with "faith as a mustard seed" (Matthew 17:20), you will be safe: A little genuine grace ensures the death of all our sins. DON'T WASTE TIME. DON'T LINGER. THE AVENGER OF BLOOD IS SWIFT. HE MAY BE AT YOUR DOOR THIS EVENING."

My good friend Erik Williams put it nicely: "Life is short. even if we get 100 years on this earth. When you put it in perspective of eternity, it is nothing. Jared had maybe 20 years with us. Who knows how much time we get here. I think most of us have this mentality of, "That will never happen to me." I know I do. That makes me think about how I am living my life. How am I treating other people? How am I using my words? Am I encouraging or tearing down? What am I doing with my time? Do I have compassion for people? Am I taking advantage of talking with people about Jesus? Am I missing out on opportunities because for some reason I get nervous when I feel like the Holy Spirit wants me to talk to someone about Jesus?"

I often ask God why did He have to take someone like Jared and not someone like myself? It is a question that will go unanswered. Jared was a guy you couldn't help but fall in love with. I had a close elementary school friend die of cancer. Her name was Cassie. She was the most gentile and nice girl I ever knew, yet God took her. It was her time to go home. There was nothing to hate about her, just as there was nothing to hate about Jared. I often cry out to God and tell him I'm sorry; I'm sorry for what I've made this life; I'm sorry for spitting in your face time and time again. Why Cassie? Why Jared? Why not me?

"God has a reason for everything. He may just want Jared with Him now. I don't know. I think there are a lot of things we don't have answers for and won't have answers for while we are here on earth. I need to be OK with that. That is part of the mystery of God and part of faith."

See you shortly Jared. (I look forward to playing soccer with you on the Streets of Gold-the one place you can play in the streets!)



Pray for his family and friends and the time of mourning...Let us mourn, but let us also rejoice...
(**First written & published on February 4, 2008**)

**REVISITATION**

 Jared was one of those guys who lived life to the fullest in light of eternity. He had this motto "Alive in Christ" tattooed across his foot. No better way to express his life here on earth. Sure, we miss Jared and sure we have mourned him. But let us rejoice and let us remember his life and actions. He was a young man of God who went to be with his LORD, a place we call Home. For, this earth, our bodies we live in are only temporary earthen vessels. They are jars of clay that grow old and crack. They are tents that wear out and need patching. But when we are called Home like Jared has been seven years ago, our bodies are renewed to where they will never wear out or grow old. If we live in light of eternity, we will be truly living....alive in Christ.

Jared lost his life here on earth and gained eternity. But alas, he never lost his life. Our belief and faith in Jesus Christ prevents us from experiencing death. He had loss of life, but this life on earth is really nothing compared to eternity with our LORD. He gained eternity and soon I will see him and talk with him at the feet of Jesus.

Every time I see his brother James, I see Jared through him. He surly has his likeness. I have often done a double take. But alas, James is alive in Christ just as his brother was living, and is living...

Let us remember Jared for the amazing man he was in Jesus Christ but let us also give thanks for the legacy he left for his friends and family...let us live alive in Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment