Sunday, January 1, 2017

The Young and the Precious

Sadness. Sorrow. Strife. Retreat. Retrieve. Resow.

Once upon a time in the land of Colorado I met a family. This family grew dear to me. They had wild and energetic boys which I grew to know and love. I worked at a camp in the mountains southwest of Denver and this is where I met this family. They cared for me as they did all the staff. Dale and Susan were like family. I grew close to Susan and admired Dale's Godly leadership. I continue to think about their impact and influence on my life.

The VanGulicks are servants of the LORD God and their humility is modeled by many. There are many times I wish I lived closer to give them each a hug in the name of Jesus to say that they are loved and it is okay to grieve. And here's why: a few weeks before Christmas (December 14, 2016), their youngest son Harry chose to end his life. It brings tears to my eyes when I type these words. No words can express the grief endured. I knew something was wrong when I viewed this on social media. I contacted Susan and told her that if she was able and willing to explain what happened. Without knowing the details, my heart ached for her. I know what it means to lose a loved one. Since I worked at Id-Ra-Ha-Je, Susan and her family have been precious to me. I care for them deeply and when something hurts them, I hurt. Empathy is a real thing.

It is a wretched thing that happened. I am so very sorry Susan. Words are not and cannot be enough. I lost a dear friend last January to suicide. It never is easy and grief continues...to this day. As a brother in Christ, I am here for you even though I live a few states away. I care for your family and love you. But more importantly Christ loves you and has not and will not forget your faithfulness. This is hard to write...because of the ugliness that has taken place. My prayers and thoughts are forever with you.

A heavy burden, all in my heart, all in our hearts - this is our Father's world and we are His children, His kids. We are brothers and sisters by blood. This is the Family of God. We must lift each other up and care for one another. There is no more condemnation. There is only grace. We will be reunited with our loved family and friends. Meanwhile we continue to trudge on this earth, trying to make sense of all the pieces. But how do we construct such a puzzle when there is a piece missing? A missing link that no one else can fill? Questions come - more questions than answers. There are lots of questions we will never have answers to and a hug hole left in our hearts.

All of His children - His daughters and sons - let us band together and encourage one another. For these are hard times we are living in. One year is done and another is upon us. We remember the past, but we look to the future. For when all else fails, and it will, who will we look to? Are we committed to Christ? Let this be our story moving forward. Young Harry was and is loved by the one true God. He is God's child. We may not understand what has taken place while on this earth. But we have our faith and our community and God's promises. Please, continue to grieve. It is healthy to do so. Remember, "I am with you to the very end of the age," declares the Lord.

Dale, Susan, and family - may the Lord bless you and keep you always. Please take the is lament as encouragement and a blessing. We will miss Harry but we will see him soon. You are surrounded by love and peace...let us continue and keep in step with the Spirit.

Bless you...

1 comment: