Sunday, May 8, 2016

Beauty from Ashes

When I was in university, I was at a loss. I was at a loss of what to study. What did I want to do? Where did I want to go? I knew not the direction I was heading in. Mark Carter was my RD, my Resident Director. He was a great man of God and I loved hanging out with him and he was very supportive. His wife, Rebecca was the career counselor there at Simpson University in Redding, CA. She was the sweetest woman I knew. She was very helpful and played a huge roll in my college career. During my junior year and a big chunk of the following year, I met with Rebecca Carter to determine what course of study I wanted to do, which direction I wanted to go in. I prayed and prayed. We hashed out ideas after ideas and determined that Christian camping is where my heart was truly at. We became friends and I looked forward to our times together. She loved the Lord and made that her driving force behind what she did.

A year or two ago, I heard some devastating news that Rebecca lost a fight to cancer and went home to be with her Savior. She lost to cancer, but she won at life. She is now living with Jesus and living the best career anyone can hope for. Rebecca was an inspiration. She had this beauty and smile that just made you feel good about yourself. I will miss her and look forward to seeing her again soon.

As I met with her in her office, we finally determined that the major of "General Ministry" would be the best course of action for me. It was a mixture of youth ministry, missions and pastoral studies. Whereas I wanted to go into camp ministry, Simpson didn't offer a camping major which at the time I didn't know existed. Therefore, this general major made sense. The year I graduated they offered, "Outdoor Leadership," which I would've jumped at if it was offered earlier. But I was happy with general ministry but often hesitate when people ask me, even today what I studied in college. The reason for this being the generic nature of the major. It has "general" in it's name. There are some who focus on the "ministry" and wonder why I'm not using my major. I never wanted to be a pastor or minister, etc. But the general public misunderstand. Of course starting my own camp has been festering on the back burner for some time.

Rebecca Carter helped fuel the fire in me. She assisted me in finding out what I truly want. She played a pivotal part in my desire for children's ministry. One can wonder why she was taken when she was, but God has reasons and they are not our reasons. We may not understand, but we can believe and have faith and trust and obey. As hard as it is to believe, we can be assured that her work here was done and God took her home. Our work remains unfinished. And we will be reunited soon.

I thank you Rebecca for your love, for your service and for your willingness to help the least of these. You are missed. Your loving nature exudes magnificence and your beauty remains. I will always remember you and your faithfulness. I owe you many thanks. I miss you and grieve with Mark at your passing. But it's not a true passing, for we will see you again shortly...and discuss things of adoration. Talk to you soon sister. Go with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment