Saturday, May 7, 2016

Running on Streets of Gold

I graduated high school in 2002. It is now 2016. Through my sophomore, junior and senior years of high school (2000-2001) I learned that my good friend from Elementary School, Cassandra Owens, Cassie to her friends was diagnosed with cancer.

I learned that she was wheelchair bound and lost a leg to cancer. She was in the newspaper and a friend who was on my cross country team knew her some as well. The reason was because Cassie was also a runner. When I knew her in grade school she was not a runner. In fact, we both didn't like to run at all. Now look at us. We were both runners. I regret losing contact with her because she was a great friend to me. She was the sweetest person you ever did meet.

Anyhow, a little while later, sometime in the beginning of the 2000s, she lost her life and was united with God in her Heavenly home. This news hurt. She lived for God. She loved to run. She ran for His pleasure. That was her joy. She wasn't ever a fast runner. I wasn't ever a fast runner. But we both enjoyed it. When Cassie was bound to the wheelchair, her dream was to be able to run again. I have faith and I know that when the Lord called her home, her first order of business was to strap on some Heavenly running shoes and hit the track...hit the track of gold. She is running on the streets of gold while conversing with her Lord.

Those of us who have not yet gone home wonder why. Why is it that the Lord has called her and not me? She was the most gentle person I knew of. She didn't have a mean bone in her body. She was on fire for the Lord and cared for the interests of others rather than herself. She lived in humility and I wish I could have known her in her later years here on earth, but I trust that she was living every second and running every second for Jesus Christ. I miss you Cassie and look forward to seeing you again soon.

As I lament here, I want to remember Cassandra Owens. I want to remember Cassie as who she was and who she is. There is a picture I have somewhere from Kindergarten graduation where Cassie and I are talking with each other. I wish I could find it and attach it. But let's just say I remember her well. She was kind, gentle and humbling. She was strong, courageous and I am sure she grew to be a daughter of God until she went to her House in the Heavenly Realms.

You are missed, but your legacy remains. See you soon my sister in Christ. See you soon Cassie.

No comments:

Post a Comment